There are changes in place for the upcoming municipal election, based on revised provincial legislation. Some of the changes are highlighted here:
• Nomination period runs from May 1, 2018 to July 27, 2018 (previously it ran from January 2nd to the 2nd Friday in September).
• Nomination forms must be accompanied by 25 endorsement signatures from eligible electors.
• Campaign financing rules have changed:
– donations – in cash or in kind – cannot be accepted from corporations or trade unions
– individual contribution limit per candidate has been raised from $750 to $1200 (with a $5000 cap in place)
Third party advertisers will need to register with the Clerk in order to place an advertisement in any medium that has the purpose of promoting or supporting or opposing a candidate. They will also need to file financial statements after the campaign period ends.
• The next term of Council begins on December 3, 2018 and ends on November 14, 2022. (After this term of Council, all terms will end on November 14, and new terms will begin on November 15.)
Staff will post updates and links to election-related forms and guides on the County’s website as they become available. Look for the Election 2018 webpage listed under “Our County” on the Haldimand County homepage. For more information, contact the Clerk at 905-318-5932, ext. 6349 or e-mail: